[lit-ideas] Re: Ten most harmful books...

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 09:50:33 -0400

Judy -

I think "The Authoritarian Personality"'s on that list because it reflects
poorly on the personality of many of those wingnuts who put it there. When I
looked up Adorno's book on Yahoo, this is what I got:

"Adorno's F-Scale now includes Fundamentalist Christians and others not
originally categorized. Although Dr. Jerry Falwell is a supporter of Israel,
he is, nevertheless, held to lead an anti-Semitic organization. The Moral
Majority is considered, by believers in the F-Scale, to be obviously
fascistic.

The Adorno Theory, therefore, is all around us, and it seems likely to
remain for the rest of our lives. It may even last for generations, for
militant prejudice cloaked as intellectuality is one of the more difficult
demons to exorcise from a nation. Only adherence to the F-Scale, which
brands all dissenters to a liberal catechism with the labels of racism and
anti-Semitism, explains the disdain of the media for conservative spokesmen
and policies, and the otherwise mysterious preference of advertising
agencies for the more leftist of publication choices. It also explains the
reluctance of so many politicians to be associated with conservative
positions and groups, especially in respect to "social" issues.

It is more than time, therefore, that conservatives and Christians (who are
not synonymous, and not always together on a number of issues) should
realize that they are tarred, and have been for a number of years, by the
same brush. It is more than time that the assumptions of Dr. Adorno,
conceived in the heat of a terrible war and in the distress of his expulsion
from Germany, should be dragged into the light of day to be examined and
laid to rest in the name of freedom, justice, and truth."

Copyright © 1981-1994 Chalcedon Report, P.O. Box 158, Vallecito, CA 95251

 Stan Spiegel