[lit-ideas] Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 10:45:04 -0800

I type whatever search term comes to mind, and find what I find.  I could buy
leatherette Louis Lamour, the poems of Richard Coe, a "vintage 1922 Maine ME
Masons Masonic Secret Code Book," a "rare" set of British Exchequer reports,
the "companion books version of the arabian nights," the "Scarlett Letter by
Nathaniel Hawthorne-mint," or W. D. McCracken on Switzerland.  The Times review
says McCracken is, "simple and not wholly unpleasing."  What churl dare ask for
more?
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F40715F7385E12738DDDAF0894DD405B858CF1D3

Hello, may I speak with...?
Hi, my name is Dick.
I'm with the Fireman's Aunt Holiday Fund.
How are you this evening?
I'm calling to let you know that our need is very real at this time of year.
Can we count on you/ your family/ your neighbors, to help fill our funding gap?

In these difficult times we all feel immense pain.
Organizations like ours are particularly strapped.
We generally use leatherette.
We rely on people like you,
to help us out.

David Ritchie,