[lit-ideas] Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 13:08:18 -0700

Till now I have worked in wrinkled shirts covered by sweaters.  We choose how
to spend our days and though I like ironing, other tasks have precedence.  It's
the same with making the bed; no big job but those minutes can add up.  Save
for a painting or a pilgrimage.  Now I own shirts with stiffness built in.
Possibly beds will follow.  When I was in school they told us we'd all have
leisure time.  And we do.  We do indeed.

I used to look at Hemingway's beard and think, "I might want one of those one
day."  When Papa and I meet in a clearing, we do the 'mirror your interlocutor'
thing.
There's a fire.  Booze.  He's in a good mood.  We talk of his sister's
paintings.  There's a silence.
"Ernie," I say, "did your father ever perform surgery?"
I feel his mother present.  There's a struggle.
"Harry Crosby got the Croix de guerre.  He didn't have a beard.  My father did."

David Ritchie,
Portland,