[lit-ideas] Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 12:34:34 -0700

Richard Leakey wrote, "The G/wi are rather unusual, however, in that they
manage to subsist for ten months of the year with no standing water whatsoever:
they obtain their liquid intake by eating succulent plants."  People are indeed
remarkable.

In the workplace, when the wind changes and that unwanted person Poppins gets
put out with the bins, taking all her magic with, employees will start and fuss
like prey animals on the open plain.  They accelerate, stop suddenly, gossip,
imagine carnivores creeping closer.  They move in small herds, turning this way
and that, watching.  They fear that some one or thing may be changing spots int
he long grass and that at any moment a demand will come, "Pay up.  Play the
game."  An edict comes from on high: avoid all water cooler babble, it is vital
you grumble not one whit.  "Good idea," says the first.  "Awesome," says the
other, "it is the lazy game-changing blamer we will agree to hate."  We dream
of agreement of secret rebellion.  Suddenly we find that with our backs to the
wall, we have become one happy family, or to use an even more familiar business
metaphor, bundled twigs.  We mix metaphors blithely.  We are agile.  We
demonstrate strength and efficiency.  Anyone who doesn't like brown, had damn
well better keep his nose ever clean.

David Ritchie,
Portland,