[lit-ideas] Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 12:29:03 -0800

Two boats we rescued, drifting helpless in dangerous water.  One we towed to
harbor, the other by skillful maneuver we freed from rope-wrapped prop.  Guy
guys thanked us with but one gruff word.  Fools out with one motor, no life
jackets in sight, little freeboard, they didn't quite come the raw prawn, but
they got close.

I did not know how to write,
and so I tried, and tried.
By and by
words
like dogs upon a scent
alerted.
Fresh out of the woods,
I you halloowed,
like a Cornish clifftop pilchard watcher,
making hue.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon

From the traditional Australian expression: "Don't come the raw prawn!" or
"Don't come the raw prawn with me!", meaning: "Don't try to put one over me!"
or "Don't treat me like a fool!".

As an etymological footnote, the Old French huer survived in Cornwall right
down to the early twentieth century. At that time an important part of local
livelihoods in coastal communities came from the seasonal catch of fish called
pilchards, which migrated past the coast in great shoals in early autumn. To be
sure of not missing their arrival, fishermen posted lookouts on the cliffs.
They were called huers, since they commonly alerted the waiting fishermen by
shouting through speaking trumpets.