[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 11:47:06 -0700

Sometimes I wish I had your strong voice, and better ears,
so that like you I could at least seem to know how things really ought to be,
how we should re-arrange ourselves before too long.
I find I just guess, from time to time,
based on best evidence, of course,
then suggest where wrong might lie.
Your degree of certainty astonishes me for I hear clamor all around
and understand but one sound in ninety five.
Occasionally I'll catch faint strains of stirring tunes, and I'll go forward,
trusting as infantry does,
but not really having the faintest clue whether we are doomed,
glory-bound, or, more probably,
to be completely ignored by history.
The only real certainty I can pluck
from careful and long meditation,
is that other planets and all the void there is
cannot, do not and therefore will not
give a rip.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon