[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:10:08 EST

Delia?  As in "Delia's Gone"??

Julie Krueger
confused

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem
Date: 1/29/06 9:04:03 AM Central Standard Time  From: _atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For the benefit of Mr. Helm here're the lyrics in  his realm, right on his
screen:

David Bowie - Space  Oddity
============================

Ground Control to Major  Tom
Ground Control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills and put your  helmet on

Ground Control to Major Tom
Commencing countdown, engines  on
Check ignition and may God's love be with you

Spoken:
Ten, Nine,  Eight, Seven, Six, Five, Four, Three, Two, One, Lift-off

This is Ground  Control to Major Tom
You've really made the grade
And the papers want to  know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you  dare

"This is Major Tom to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the  door
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very  different today

For here
Am I sitting in a tin can
Far above the  world
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Though I'm  past one hundred thousand miles
I'm feeling very still
And I think my  spaceship knows which way to go
Tell my wife I love her very much (she  knows!)
Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something  wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you  hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear....

" am I floating round my tin  can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can  do.?

Tom Jones sang Delia.  In 1968 every morning  at 7  a.m. at a campground
outside Augsberg, Germany the camp would play "Delia"  over and over over the
loudspeaker for what seemed 30 minutes  straight.  Never mention Tom Jones'
name in my presence again  please.

Mike  Geary
Memphis