[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 20:46:23 -0700

There's a fellow here arguing that American poets are incestuously close.
Prizes awarded to friends and all that.  In Scotland things are different.
We poets are bound by ancient rite, union rules and dues of half a crown a
year.  We're to keep, in the back pocket of jeans usually, like a dance
caller's sheet, a list of nice things to say about Bonnie Prince Charlie,
William Wallace, tatties, neeps and haggis, the authenticity of the current
stone of Scone, kilts, bagpipes.

Here's my problem.  On Saturday night I unfortunately misplaced my list,
left it in a pub, along with a battered leather jacket and a new stem cell
line.  So here's the rub; before Monday I've to track the thing down or,
word is, the Glasgow heavies will be knocking at the door to fit me up for
some concrete verse.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon