[lit-ideas] Re: Sufi martyred as Jesus was

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:32:42 +0200

Le jeudi, 8 avr 2004, à 00:20 Europe/Paris, Scribe1865@xxxxxxx a écrit :

> Lest we only consider Jews killing Jewish mystics, it's worth noting
> that one
> of the prominent early Sufis was crucified in Baghdad (I think) for
> propounding an unorthodox view of incarnationism.

M.C. That'd be Husayn ibn Mansur al -Hallaj (858 - 922 AD)

        Eric is, of course, entirely justified in seeing this - like a
modern-day Gibbon - as yet another proof of the despoto-barbarism of
the oriental Soul. If only they could have been civilized, like those
archetypical Occidentals, the Romans, who used to entertain the
illiterate plebs with tea parties and massive Bob-Ross-style landscape
paint-ins in the Colosseum.

> Best, Mike.

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)