[lit-ideas] Strike Propaganda

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:26:58 -0500

>>And how are you?

Me? I'm whistling "The International" as I walk across town during the transit strike. Lots of people out walking at all hours, and the thing is, they seem largely happy. Happy to be on foot, to be limited to their own powers of mobility.

I had the misfortune to watch Fox News coverage of the strike. For anyone studying media propaganda, their coverage is a must-see.

*while other stations refer to "transit strike," Fox refers to "ILLEGAL transit strike"
*counted them using the word ILLEGAL 16 times in five minutes of coverage
*they have a TV graphic that says

    ILLEGAL
    transit strike

with the word "illegal" in a typeface twice as tall as "transit strike"
*they use video graphics that direct the eye to the word ILLEGAL (rather than transit strike) and flash this graphic every time they segue from one reporter to another
*they report only on inconvenience and struggle here, and never seem to have shots of the laughing happy people I see every time I go walking
*they only offer reports that blame the inconvenience on the union, and never blame the MTA for bringing about the strike.

So I'm whistling The International as I type this, hoping that the strike will force the MTA and Bloomberg to cave in, offering at least one small victory for the labor unions in this country.