[lit-ideas] Re: Strike Propaganda

Julie: "illegal" in relationship to the strike originate
with the Mayor's mini-speech? I heard the sound bite over and over (on NPR,
yes) of him saying it was an "illegal, selfish, (and some other adjective I
now forget) strike".....

Yeah ... our ... mayor. Can't get over the feeling that billionaire Bloomberg is gay, and runs the marriage and girlfriend act as a smokescreen, much as the closeted Leonard Bernstein did. In the vestibule of a Chinese restaurant, I noticed Bloomberg was on the front page of yesterday's Gay Times. And what bugs me about my suspicion that Bloomberg is closeted gay is his insistence that there will be no gay marriages in town. Would be typical of his character.

Equally annoying is the PR ju-jitsu that would blame the TWU for the inconvenience of no subways, rather than the private-public corporation MTA. I mean, the strikers pulled together for 9/11 and gave up pay raises to help the city, and then the MTA screws 'em over for years with no raise. Also typical: people sacrifice for the good of the community or nation...and get screwed by people with no integrity hiding behind the dubious legality of a situation.

These power clowns do have a tendency to turn heroes into suckers.

Venting before dinner,
Eric