[lit-ideas] Re: Shrimp

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 05:22:58 EDT

<<>> Well I'll be horn-swaggled.

>  Horn-swOggled, I think. All of these matters would have been child's
>  play for JL. I hope he is well, wherever he is.>>

I wouldn't know, as I only ever  heard my Mother speak the saying ....  I've
always wondered where she got  it and what it meant or where it came from
....where is JL, indeed?  What  is horn-swoggling?  Why is it a "nicety" for
"damned"?

<< Apparently the Himalayas have  become an abundant source of shrimp,
so abundant that our local food purveyor  is able to report as follows in his
mailer the, "Fearless Flyer."   "Colossal Butterflied Shrimp, Marinated in
Garlic and Herbs...The shrimp are  harvested in natural pools formed by the
crystal clear waters in the  Himalayas and the Tibetan High Plateau." There's
nothing for it, I think, but to  mount a National Geographic
expedition, with gun and camera, into the  hinterland of the Himalayas, in
search of the true source of garlic  shrimp.  >>
This is quite possibly the funniest series of sentences I  have read on line
-- and that includes a decade of experience.  Himalayan  Shrimp.  I love it.
I've always wanted an aquarium with live shrimp -- have  you seen them?
Incredibly delicate other-worldly creatures.
I'm re-doing our house and when I get to our dining room  I think there will
be a place for a salt-water aquarium.
We had aquariums a few years ago, but the pet store did  not adequately warn
me of which fish were predatorial.
I think we'll try it again in a more informed  fashion.

<<For publicity purposes llamas
or even lamas may be  involved.  I'll begin recruiting expedition members
tomorrow.  All  those with experience of mountain crustacean hunting should
line up outside  my door de bonne heure.>>
I'll try to get my neighbor's phone # -- he has llamas  he'd probably be
willing to loan out...(along with the emus)....
Surrealism Reigns
Julie Krueger

always up for mountain crustacean  hunting...

Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Shrimp  Date: 5/12/05 10:07:50 P.M. Central Daylight
Time  From: _ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
on 5/12/05 6:46 PM, Robert Paul at  robert.paul@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Well I'll be horn-swaggled.
>
> Horn-swOggled, I  think. All of these matters would have been child's
> play for JL. I hope  he is well, wherever he is.

Someone tells me that he is somewhere in the  U.S., cutting up rough paper
and selling it for scrap.  Meanwhile, there  is a pressing thing to call to
your attention, the appearance of Himalayan  shrimp.  We read all the time
about species becoming extinct but not  often about the other end of the
thing.  Apparently the Himalayas have  become an abundant source of shrimp,
so abundant that our local food purveyor  is able to report as follows in his
mailer the, "Fearless Flyer."   "Colossal Butterflied Shrimp, Marinated in
Garlic and Herbs...The shrimp are  harvested in natural pools formed by the
crystal clear waters in the  Himalayas and the Tibetan High Plateau."

There's nothing for it, I think,  but to mount a National Geographic
expedition, with gun and camera, into the  hinterland of the Himalayas, in
search of the true source of garlic  shrimp.  For publicity purposes llamas
or even lamas may be  involved.  I'll begin recruiting expedition members
tomorrow.  All  those with experience of mountain crustacean hunting should
line up outside  my door de bonne heure.

David Ritchie
Jacques Cousteau Mountaineering  Studies
University of the Specific
Portland,  Oregon