[lit-ideas] Re: Shrimp

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 20:08:17 -0700

on 5/12/05 6:46 PM, Robert Paul at robert.paul@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Well I'll be horn-swaggled.
>
> Horn-swOggled, I think. All of these matters would have been child's
> play for JL. I hope he is well, wherever he is.

Someone tells me that he is somewhere in the U.S., cutting up rough paper
and selling it for scrap.  Meanwhile, there is a pressing thing to call to
your attention, the appearance of Himalayan shrimp.  We read all the time
about species becoming extinct but not often about the other end of the
thing.  Apparently the Himalayas have become an abundant source of shrimp,
so abundant that our local food purveyor is able to report as follows in his
mailer the, "Fearless Flyer."  "Colossal Butterflied Shrimp, Marinated in
Garlic and Herbs...The shrimp are harvested in natural pools formed by the
crystal clear waters in the Himalayas and the Tibetan High Plateau."

There's nothing for it, I think, but to mount a National Geographic
expedition, with gun and camera, into the hinterland of the Himalayas, in
search of the true source of garlic shrimp.  For publicity purposes llamas
or even lamas may be involved.  I'll begin recruiting expedition members
tomorrow.  All those with experience of mountain crustacean hunting should
line up outside my door de bonne heure.

David Ritchie
Jacques Cousteau Mountaineering Studies
University of the Specific