[lit-ideas] Re: Sharia Law in Germany

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 10:15:32 -0700

Hello Phil.

I don't "post links to comments [I] make in another context."  The Lit-Ideas
format doesn't allow for long posts, especially long posts that quote other
long posts for context.  After having my posts refused by Lit-Ideas many
times, I began posting them on my blog.  There is no dual context.  However,
once I start posting on my blog on a subject I may continue posting
something there for continuity.

As to the danger of the "increase of Sharia Law,"  Fundamentalist Muslims
deriving from Salafist and Sayid Qutb teaching believe in a "Creeping Sharia
Law" as one of the devices intended to complete the Jihad that Mohammad
started.  That Jihad will only be completed when the entire world is Muslim.
This is what I was referring to in an earlier note today when I said I have
been criticized for taking Islamists at their word, for, my critics assert,
Islam except for a few malcontents is longer radical but mellow.  I don't
believe their criticism is born out either by history or what I read.  It
isn't going to become mellow unless we apply some tenderizer; which the
Politically Correct are appalled by.

You say the term "Sharia Law" is being used ambiguously.  You are
theoretically correct if you mean "being used variously," but I am worried
about the modern Islamist and Salafist use of this Law, not "Moderate-Muslim
usage" should there be any.  [I once challenged Omar to produce writings by
moderate Muslims that weren't located in Western nations.  The best he could
do was a writer in a military compound in Pakistan.]

Your final comment is "I think Lawrence and Kern are both badly mistaken
about the so-called threat of Islam in the West. First, it badly
misunderstands Islam, and in this case Sharia. Second, it vastly
overestimates the unity of Islam and Muslims, ignoring divisions and
schismatic tendencies.

Muslims as a whole agree on very little, if anything, and the idea that they
represent a threat to anything or anyone except themselves is to enter the
realm of fantasy.

I probably have several discussions of this matter on my blog, and I have to
go for my semi-yearly medical checkup in a few moments so I'll try to be
brief.  There are two views regarding the danger of Islam and each view has
its champions.  Your view is best argued by Gilles Kepel (especially The War
for Muslim Minds) and Olivier Roy (especially Globalized Islam).  While both
authors agree that there is a current problem, they minimize it and one of
them (Roy) believe the radicals are well-educated malcontents that will not
count much in the long run.

The other view on this subject of the quality exemplified by Kepel and Roy
include Bernard Lewis, Daniel Pipes, Youssef M. Choueiri, and David
Selbourne.

The last time we debated these matters, Phil, the discussion was more
theoretical.  Sure, we both agreed, Radical Islamists were "saying" a lot of
things, but what actually were they doing?  We could only speculate.  Now
the discussion has moved forward a bit.  Now they are doing more.  They are
advancing Sharia Law.  Like the frog in the pot Liberals deny the heat.  The
rest of us see an unflinching direction.

If an enemy declares he is going to kill, maim, or otherwise harm us, those
of us on the David Selbourne side of the argument, even if we don't embrace
it as single-mindedly as he does, believe it is safest to take the threat
seriously.  Liberals and Leftists think it important not to take it
seriously.  I won't ask why they don't because I have read Kepel and Roy.
But I have read a number of writers who don't hold their view, and I may as
well number Samuel P. Huntington.  Clashes will occur on into the
foreseeable future.

Francis Fukuyama while not a Liberal has a vested interest in the views of
Roy and Kepel because he believes that in the long run Liberal Democracy
will defeat all challenges.  It has already defeated the major challenges of
Fascism and Communism; so the relatively "minor pinpricks of Islamism" (as
described by Kepel and Roy) will be healed in the not too distant future.
Maybe, I would say to Fukuyama, but not without a more forceful resistance
than I see in Western Europe at the present time.

Also sincerely,

Lawrence Helm