[lit-ideas] Re: Sharia Law and Britain's decline

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 10:54:54 -0700

Judy,

I hadn't intended to specifically reply.  I thought my notes were covering
the issues adequately.  The one "point" I see in your note had to do with my
comment "not from what I read elsewhere" or something like that.  I haven't
time to research everything I've read, but such an "elsewhere" was in the
note of mine you referenced (by reference) when you ex cathedra declared me
non responsive:

"The sharia courts operating in Britain, will hear and pass legally binding
judgment on cases involving divorce, financial disputes, and even domestic
violence. But, it will not end there. According to the Daily Mail, sharia
court officials have said, that they hope, "[.] to take over growing numbers
of 'smaller' criminal cases in future," and extremist clerics have already
asserted their aims to establish sharia law for everyone in Britain. Only
yesterday, the Sun newspaper showed a video of radical clerics announcing
plans to take over Britain:

"It may be by pure conversion that Britain will become an Islamic state. We
may never need to conquer it from the outside.

"This, among other similar pronouncements, was made at a rally billed as a
debate on whether the West had 'learned the lessons' of the September 11
terrorist attacks. Apparently, we have not.

"Sharia law regards women as inferior to men, and non-Muslims as inferior to
Muslims, and it demands the execution of homosexuals. Sharia courts in
Britain have already tried cases in domestic violence, and have issued no
punishments beyond requiring the abuser get mentoring from Muslim elders and
to attend anger management classes. In my opinion, this is an entirely
unacceptable judgment for those who inflict violence on women. According to
the Daily Mail, again:

"In one recent inheritance dispute in Nuneaton, a Muslim man's estate was
spit was between three daughters and two sons with each son receiving twice
as much as each daughter - in keeping with sharia law.

"The establishment of sharia law in Britain, even on a minor scale, not only
undermines British law and culture of equality 'under the law,' with cases
judged by a jury of one's peers, but is implicitly menacing to people of all
non-Muslim religions, atheists, conservatives, women, homosexuals, and
people of all racial and ethnic backgrounds."
[http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/3522]

Lawrence

From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lit-ideas] Sharia Law and Britain's decline