[lit-ideas] Re: Saying an EP

  • From: Henninge@xxxxxxxxxxx (Richard Henninge)
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 02:21:35 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donal McEvoy" <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 7:06 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Saying an EP

> Just an update to explain one reason why I have gone quiet on
Wittgenstein;
> having put 'Blue here' up for discussion on a Wittgenstein-list as a
possible
> EP, and not having many takers of the RP thesis or anyone offering an EP
at
> all, someone there has promised to come back with an EP that can be said.
>
> Of course, this would refute my contention that none can be said - and so
> am awaiting to see what happens. It's been days now and they are so far
> silent but like RP no doubt thinking hard all the time.
>
> Donal
> London

4.26 Die Angabe aller wahren Elementarsätze beschreibt die Welt vollständig.
Die Welt ist vollständig beschrieben durch die Angaben aller Elementarsätze
plus der Angabe, welche von ihnen wahr und welche falsch sind.

The specification of all true elementary propositions describes the world
completely. The world is completely described by the specification of all
elementary propositions plus the specification, which of them are true and
which false.

The mystery that so many find in such statements is a mystery to me.
Wittgenstein proposes a world of propositions, propositions analyzable or
reducible to elementary propositions, which all together would describe the
world in the sense spelled out above in 4.26. If Donal wants to suggest
"Blue here" as an elementary proposition, he will encounter no problems with
Wittgenstein. A non-infinite number of such propositions could account for
the entire world. "Blue here," in which "blue" and "here" are clearly
delimited in terms of particle velocity and delimited range of a visual
field, is an elementary proposition (sayable) as is "red here," in which
"red" is similarly specified as another particle velocity and "here" is the
same delimited range of the visual field. That these two propositions cannot
both be elementary propositions does not preclude that one of them *is* and
*is sayable.* The other *is not* and *is not sayable*.

Richard Henninge
University of Mainz