[lit-ideas] Rimbaud

  • From: "William Ball" <ballnw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 17:16:12 -0500

The thread was a bit fun.

Thanks Judy and Robert:
Complete drunken boat, either in French or English, still leaves me
glassy eyed , as do most of the symbolistes. In the translation I sense
some of Eliot's "Wasteland" and a hint, or odor, of Old Ezra Pound, the
enfant terrible of Haley, Idaho.

Rimbaud might have driven his mate, Verlaine (whom I can understand), a
bit crazy too.  Les sanglots longs des violins d'automne.....

Rimbaud himself must have become confused with his own stuff: he stopped
writing in his late teens, already famous in European literary circles,
and took up gun running in Africa. L'enfant terrible.

Julie, in the 17th century there came about the Academie Francaise,
whose job it was to bring order to and regulate the language. They exist
today, known as the 40 immortels. Ils empissent le franglais et toutes
choses etrangeres dans la culture francaise. Look in google under
"Academie Francaise."

Et tout le reste est literature......

Bill Ball a Rindge

P. S. Julie, before the Academy, etre (with circumflex) used to be
estre.

William Ball
Norma Ball=20