[lit-ideas] Re: Providing a fair trial and sentencing

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 23:37:56 -0500 (EST)

Wine is something of a hobby in our house.  My husband reads up on and buys
just about every variety of wine.  Shiraz, Gertztramminer, you name it.  I've
learned that my taste in wine is like my taste in music, very narrow, Baroque
and Mozart (or reasonable facsimiles thereof), and in wine I like only the
sweeter Rieslings.  I don't like red (broad category, I know) and port and
brandy are undrinkable in my opinion.  (They're fortified wines I've learned;
kept better at one time, something like that).  Everything I've read says wine
needn't be expensive to be good, but then I only read cheap magazines.

It's like a Jaguar or some other expensive car.  What makes a car "worth"
$100,000+ other than the label?  Leather seats?  I think Volkswagen makes the
Porsche engine anyway.  Don't know who makes the Jaguar engine.  Probably GM.
I know that companies make, for example, the same fragrance and will sell it
to, say Revlon for one their upscale lines, who will charge X for it, and sell
the same identical fragrance to Avon, who will put it in a different bottle and
sell it for a fraction of X.  It's probably the same way with cars, and
probably most everything else.  I used to like the slogan of that clothing
company, "An educated consumer is our best customer".  I always thought that
was an inside joke, since the last thing companies want is an educated consumer.