[lit-ideas] Re: Piggy-eyed wonder

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:52:05 -0400

>"I still don't understand why it was so difficult for those in the
positions of planning to SEE that they ought to >have thought of all sorts
of possibilities which might have occurred and then to have set in place
various >contingency plans. (I'm always creating plans A, B, and C in my own
little life...<wry look>) "

* * * * * * *

Marlena's comment above kinda shocks me. I thought everyone knew about
the"Future of Iraq" project that was in process for over a year before we
went to war .This planning was done in the State department.
Iraqi-Americans, among others, in a wide spectrum of fields, --the law, the
military, planning, etc. -- were brought together and broken up into
subgroups to plan for and anticipate just what would happen in the aftermath
of the war. It was done just the way war planning was done -- and just as
thoroughly.

So what happened? Rumsfeld and the Pentagon told everyone to throw it in the
garbage. All the meetings and planning, discussions and reports that led up
to planning for the chaos after the war was ignored. This was another
instance of where the real battle was taking place: among 3 different
groups. No, it wasn't the Sunnis, the Kurds and the Shiites. It was the
State Dept, the Defense Dept and the White House. Anchored in the real
world, we had done the planning for the aftermath. Colin Powell didn't
assert himself and acted like the good soldier he is. All the dummies with
no inkling about what happens in war took over.

Colin Powell thought the same way you do, Marlena. When planning a giant
enterprise like a war, you need to anticipate the"what if's" and plan for
them. This wasn't a gender issue. It was a dumbo issue. The dumbos were in
charge. And they still are. The nice thing about dumbos is they never seem
to learn from experience.

Stan Spiegel