[lit-ideas] Re: Piggy-eyed wonder

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 15:24:44 EDT

<<still don't understand why it was so difficult for those in the positions
of planning to SEE that they ought to have thought of all sorts of
possibilities which might have occurred and then to have set in place various
contingency
plans. (I'm always creating plans A, B, and C in my own little life...<wry
look>) >>

My life consists of a series of constantly changing contingency plans -- but
I can't involve my husband in them.  I wonder if there's a degree of (don't
shoot me, Judy) difference in the way men & women think that's relevant.  The
men I know best (brothers, husband, dad) just flat out don't do hypotheticals.
And they're smart guys.  But if I say to one of them, "If the car can't be
repaired this week, how do you want to handle transportation on Thursday?" the
answer invariabley is, "well, but it probably can".  If I say, "what would you
do if the house caught fire?" the answer is "but, it isn't on fire so I don't
know".  "But what if it did?"  "Well, it isn't."  I can never get further than
that with them.  It's a brick wall.  Now me, I can give a thousand answers to
a hypothetical question and put them in order of probability along with the
next tier of if B, then this series of things, if C, then this series.  Men
seem
less interested in dealing with unknowns and doing guess-work planning.  Or
maybe it's just the men I know.

Julie Krueger