[lit-ideas] Re: Paris Hilton carrot?

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 21:16:07 -0700

Nothing, of course, could come close in cultural significance to such a carrot. But I think it's worth mentioning, before I depart for the auld sod, that I turned on the close captioning while watching the end of "Gilmore Girls"--my daughters' favorite show--and found that someone was typing gibberish. I hear well enough, but I think it was public radio that reported this week the number of exemptions granted by the Bush administration from the federal mandate to provide captioning. Apparently once exemptions are granted, gibberish is riding like a clapped-out Ferrari behind.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon