[lit-ideas] Re: Paralogisms of Heat

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:27:14 EDT

McEvoy:

"They are both philosophical  (insofar as they are beyond testing by
observation) and literary (insofar as  they could be part of literature)."

vis a vis Geary:

"For example,  if I say: "Women  make me hot."   That's a Literary
expression.  But if I say: "Why  do women make me hot?"  Ah,  that's a
Philosophical
expression."

McEvoy:

"They are  ... literary."

---- This seems to beg a question. Recall Geary's  caveat:

"I don't *know* what I *want* to write about.   Literature?  No,  I AM
Literature and I'm tired of talking about  myself."

By modus tollendo tollens, and applying the Interpretive  Principle of
Charity, this would yield that Geary's

"Why women make me  hot?" should NOT be interpreted as 'literature' (or
'literary expression', as  Geary prefers) but "philosophical expression". In
other words, Geary would  apply, _contra_ Popper, the paralogism that "Women
make me hot" IS empirical  (and thus literary) while the presupposition of
"WHY women make me hot?" is not  -- but just the paralogistic expression of
what he calls a "Philosophical  Idea".

Similarly, setting Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit to rhymed  couplets does
not turn it into a "literary expression", in Geary's apt  distinction.

Speranza