[lit-ideas] Re: Paper, Plastic, the Vacuum

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 05:07:55 -0800 (PST)

The 'old' razor is as good as the 'new' one.  However, if they didn't bring out
a 'new' one, many people wouldn't have jobs (tweaking the thing, designing the
packaging, etc.).  In essence that's the underlying reason why capitalism was
predicted (since forever) to contain within it the seeds of its own
destruction, because it's based in infinite growth on a finite planet ("Limits
to Growth", 1972).  Really our economic system is corporatism; like any 'ism'
capitalism is a construct that works on paper but mutates in reality, in this
case into corporatism.  It can be argued capitalism is about amenities and a
better moral life; corporatism is about consumption as an end in itself.  Some
say that our current economic malaise is a product of the fact that we've
hit limits to growth.  In an ironic yin/yang, the creative destruction of Marx
became the capitalist virtue of Schumpeter.  In the end though, it's nature who
bats last.  We've been
 growing a tree to the sky and it just won't grow anymore.

There's an interesting book called The Story of Stuff by Annie Leonard.  Below
is a link to a 21-minute video.  The book is a much more detailed account of
*why* we live in a consumer society.  Believe it or not, we Americans did not
always exist to consume.  That behavior was deliberately orchestrated at the
beginning of the 20th century and has become such a part of the air and water
that it's become life itself.  Only one of myriad inducements, the song Second
Hand Rose (Ziegfeld Follies, 1921) is about inspiring consumption; planned
obsolescence.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCtrcAp3TEY  ;("Even the piano in
the parlor, daddy bought for ten cents on the dollar."  How old fashioned, we
need a *new* piano (along with everything else, leaving her feeling abused no
less), and of course it would need to be financed; conspicuous consumption.)
Ironically the figurative expression 'part of the air and water' in this case
is literal from
 creating and disposing of stuff.  It's been said we have dizzying change but
no progress.  One wonders if we didn't have shopping and consuming to do all
day long, and working to get this symbolic thing called money to trade for
shopping and consuming, what would humans do to pass the time?  Seriously.   A
nonconsumption-based way of life is literally unimaginable.

(An ecological rant, for lack of a better word, follows.)  The word consumption
used to be the term for tuberculosis, it consumed the body.  From a Gaia
perspective we are consuming the planet.  Among other things, there's a garbage
patch in the Pacific Ocean the size of Texas with something like 47,000 pieces
of garbage per square mile of this floating garbage island.  It's said that
when the sea turtles can no longer swim through it, we're in trouble.  There's
another forming in the Atlantic.  The point is, when we throw something away,
there is no away.  It goes somewhere, only to come back as the weather extremes
of climate change or antibiotic resistance or some other way.  (End of rant.)

At any rate, this is the link to the video.  The link beneath that one is about
bottled water, also from Annie Leonard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se12y9hSOM0&feature=related

Andy