[lit-ideas] From the Sierra Club

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 03:35:53 -0800 (PST)

From broadcasting to narrowcasting:  an eco-comedy short film competition.  The
theme is how to deal with poop from 7 billion people on a planet facing
stressed resources, especially water.   Enter the composting toilet.  Composted
poop would also be a solution to chemical fertilizers, especially as we run out
of phosphorus for agriculture.  One wonders if changes like this will add up at
some point into a critical mass and stabilize the environment, even so late in
the game.  We need a Marlboro Man style advertising campaign (essentially
propaganda) to make this desirable.  The bathroom industry succeeded once
before in making the daily shower a norm after WWII, to promote use of their
products.  Before then, no one took daily showers or baths because no one
needed them.  (I learned that on the History Channel).  Likewise dry cereal
never existed until Mr. Kellogg made it the breakfast norm.  Now dry cereal is
breakfast.  So why not
 something that's helpful, like composting toilets?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_pFAMSv6pM&feature=related