[lit-ideas] PLEASE CIRCULATE (Was: The Encyclopaedia Britannica)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 21:05:46 EDT

COMING FULL CIRCLE as it drops from  Heaven's spherical rim.

Always willing to give credit when credit  is 'due', Ritchie writes:

"It should be pointed out that the English  were there first. John Harris
published Lexicon technicum in 1704 and the  much more famous Ephraim Chambers'

Cyclopaedia appeared in 1728."

Yes, but that Ephraim was perhaps _infamous_, if one  quotes from one quote
in the OED, under 'cyclopaedia'. So thought  Bowyer:

1738 W. BOWYER in Nichols  Lit. Anecd. 18th C. (1812) V. 659

     "While the second edition of  Chambers's
     Cyclopædia was in the press  I went to
     the author [the aforementioned  Ephraim
     Chambers, Esq.] and begged  leave to
     add

              a single syllable

      to his magnificent work,  and that for
      Cyclopædia he would  write Encyclopædia..
      I urged that Vossius had  observed in
      his book de Vitiis  Sermonis that
      ‘Cyclopædia was used by  some authors,
      but Encyclopædia by  the best’.

              (1738)  In Nichols, Lit. Anecd. 18th C.
              (1812),  p. 659.

Note that if it all derives from the Grecian adj.  'egkuklios' (originally,
'en + kuklios') perhaps Chalmers wasn't so deaf as not  to hear.

The whole thing amounts to a 'circular for circulation'  (cf. the Pope's
encyclicals), and I trust Ritchie is partly right when he talks  of the
'attempt
behind the EB' being

       "to make two  groats"

(or one) seeing that Diderot's thing was selling like 'hot  cakes'. Quite an
long-distance analogy if you ask me. I can imagine a lot of  people wanting to
read something _French_ (then the 'langue de la connaissance')  rather than
anything 'Gothick' -- which included Scots, English, and  Danish).

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
Buenos Aires, Argentina
       Encircling the Rim of  Wisdom