[lit-ideas] The Scottish Enlightenment -- and *us*

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:55:56 EDT

Thanks to Ritchie for his comments and citations:

>It is Einbinder's view that the motive for  Britannica
>was not as [J.  L.] Speranza suggests, an attempt to
>mimic Diderot's *intellectual* achievement, but rather
>--plus ca change--to make a groat or two by  copying
>something that seemed to be selling well [in  Paris].
>Thus an engraver, a printer and William  Smellie
>cobbled together the first edition. Other  writers take a
>view closer to [Speranza].

I like your 'plus ca change', what a good example of a  negationless negation.

One such writer seems to be the blogger  at

blogs.britannica.com/blog/main/blogs.britannica.com/blog/main/<WBR>2007/06/the-an

who unashamedly writes:

"The EB was founded in 1768 by  members
    of the Scottish Enlightment  who were the
    “Web 2.0″ of their  time"

Perhaps I should spell that  'EnglightENment' and tell that perhaps another
interesting source seems to  be, voila, the article for "Scottish
Enlightenment" in, voila, the "EB"  online:

_http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-261867/Scottish-Enlightenment_
(http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-261867/Scottish-Enlightenment)

      "Those who date the end of the  Scottish Enlightenment to
      the beginning of the French  Revolution in 1789 are vulnerable
      [like Superman to kryptonite?] to  the fact that Smith
      lived until 1790 and Hutton died in  1797."

Since the EB was first published in 1768, when France was still a  monarchy,
I grant that it's a controversial issue.

"The Scottish Enlightenment" seems to become, to me, one of those hateful
phrases, as it were, a hateful phrase, if I were to read, repeatedly, of "The
Argentine Enlightenment". If you look at the wikipedia reference list for
'Scottish Englightenment" it seems that whoever was enlightened _and_ Scottish
was part of it -- which makes the denomination, as R. Paul will agree,
'tautological'.

Cheers,

JL