[lit-ideas] Re: Orphan Often: Observations & Queries

  • From: Stephen Straker <straker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 09:08:51 -0700

> GENERAL:  I ask  you, have you ever known what it is to be an
> orphan?
> KING:     Often!
> GENERAL:  Yes, orphan.   Have you ever known what it is to be one?
> KING:     I  say, often.

SOME OBSERVATIONS & QUERIES:

#1 - "Who's on first?"

I'm sure the precedents for Abbott & Costello go back before
G&S, but still, is there a *canonical* precedent for such
persistent comedic word-play?

#2 - of-ten

Some people somewhere say "off ten" and would be immune to
this particular loop. Is "off ten" the proper pronunciation
for any identifiable minority?

#3 - my favourite ... "Lulu, Arf, 'n' ..."

Pogo has an occassional sub-strip, starring Pogo in a blonde
ringletted wig with his eyeballs blunked out, called "LULU,
ARF 'N' ?????" I could try and look it up, but if I go to my
Pogo archive I won't resurface until Wednesday. Thus I must
call on my Lit-Ideas lifeline. What's the proper title? If
pressed, I would say "Lulu, Arf 'n' Nanny" (but that doesn't
seem right). Can anyone help?

#4 - precedents

Is there a canonical precedent for Walt Kelly's less
restrained word-play, e.g.,
"Deck us all with Boston Charlie ..."
OR

"Oh pick a pock of peach pits
Pockets full of pie.
Foreign twenny blackboards
Baked until they cry.
Winnipeg was open
The burst agin to sing
Oh worse'n that a danish ditch
Was two by four the king."

#5 - on-line resources

Does anyone know of a a seriously rich on-line Pogo/Walt
Kelly archive? The sites I have turned up with Google are
very thin & not satisfactory.

#6 - "Lit-Ideas"

I can't think of a name for this group that comes even close
to the previously acceptable "Filleters" ...  Perhaps there
should be a contest mit prizes. Is this not Comrade
Commandant Savory's job??  How about it?

Even though I chose *not* to send 6 separate e-mails, please
fell free to deal with these separately or partially rather
than not at all.

thanks & best wishes

Stephen
enjoying his 9th straight cold rainy day in
Wank Hoover,
Bee Sea
<straker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>