[lit-ideas] One too many [was One, Two, Many]

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:43:46 -0500

I heard Peter Gordon being interviewed on Science Friday yesterday and I was
at a loss as to why this was news.  "No word, no concept"  has always seemed
a no-brainer to me.  Aren't words just symbols of concepts?  If there's no
symbol, it's a pretty safe bet there's no concept.  The intriguing question
then is how do concepts arise within a culture.  Apparently not through
language (but note the "apparently").  Language always only mirrors.  Of
course there are carnival mirrors that warp and distort our concepts into
new realities -- literature is often such a mirror, so too is most of what
goes under the rubric "Liberal Arts and Humanities".  Wherever language is
the major tool of the trade, you'll find distortion mirrors mirroring
distortion mirrors.  And that's all wonderful fun.  I love it though I don't
ply any of the trades myself.

But how do concepts enter a culture?  Why, in other words, should humanity
have ever thought of naming units?  Or even thinking "units."  What are the
units of sky?  They're there for astronomers and navigators (I would guess),
but for me there's only sky.  Well, my guess is because distinguishing units
became important for astrological / sociological reasons.  "If we just had
some way of tracking how many full moons there are between seasonal changes,
maybe then we could know when to sow and when to harvest.  Some kind of
database, that's what we're after.  Who here knows how to count?"
Concepts, I conjecture, arise out of cultural need primarily, and
secondarily out of play.  This post, for instance, is just play.  Certainly
no need for it and certainly I've distorted reality, and you in your part
will distort what I've said to fit your own game or you'll snort and pass
by: "One too many posts from that guy."  The Praha, on the other hand, could
never think such a thing.

Mike Geary
Memphis
now back to work