[lit-ideas] Re: One Plus One equals Russia

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 04:15:05 -0700

On Apr 4, 2006, at 9:07 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

Carol Kirschenbaum wrote:

I just found out yesterday that I lost a client to that crappy war. Good kid. He'd been furious that the army lied to him when he first signed up for the national guard. His word, not mine: Lied.

Section C, Paragraph 9(b) of the enlistment contract states:

"Laws and regulations that govern military personnel may change without notice to me. Such changes may affect my status, pay, allowances, benefits, and responsibilities as a member of the Armed Forces regardless of the provisions of this enlistment/reenlistment document."

I am reminded of the mutiny of the 42nd in 1743. Men in this Highland regiment believed they had signed on for home service. When they got to London they found they were to be sent to Flanders to join the war of Austrian Succession. Rumors went round that this too was a ruse and that they were in fact to be sent to the fever-ridden West Indies. Two hundred of them, as a unit, complete with arms and ammunition, stole away in the night. They had covered a hundred miles before the dragoons found them. All were sentenced to death by a court that took no account of the fact that many of them didn't speak English. Three were shot; the rest were sent...to the fever-ridden West Indies. As their general made clear, "When the Highlanders entered the King's service they considered themselves as a contracting party in the agreements made with the Government, from whom they naturally expected the same punctual performance of their engagements, as well as some degree, at least, of the kindness and attention which they and their fathers had met with from their ancient and hereditary chieftains."

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon