[lit-ideas] Re: On Nip Thievery

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 21:22:17 -0500

Robert Paul writes:

"You may be confusing literature with fiction"

Thank you for further complicating things, Robert.  They were entirely too
cut & dried before.  Permit me to introduce a bit of confusion in return by
opening the "who said that and when and in response to what, again?" door.

Lawrence Helm wrote (previous to my questioning whether War of the Worlds
constituted 'literature" during that brief few hours when it was believed to
be factual reality):

<<And this is a case in point despite Paul's not having joined in my search
for literature.  Look here, did someone really steal David's nip?  Why would
someone doubt it you might ask?  Didn't he say they did?  Well, I say in
response, he's in the habit of writing what I might call literature and he
might have done it again.

"Wait," you will say, "he mentions Walter and a real incident."

"But," I will ask another question by way of response, "didn't Dante mention
real people and real incidents?  And didn't people round about think he had
really gone down into Purgatory and the Inferno and then subsequently
written about them -- from first hand experience; which would have precluded
* The Divine Comedy* from being literature and reduced it to mere reportage;
for reality can't be literature, or can it?  We really haven't settled what
literature is, have we?>>
Perhaps Robert is confusing Lawrence with someone who is confusing
literature with fiction, leaving me with both feet off the floor, as it
were.  I am, however, contributing to the confusion (are you sensing a
pattern here, yet?) by deleting the remainder of Robert's post so as to
adhere to an appropriate post length.

Having cast aside all pretense at buying into anything Aristotelian in
nature at all, I now open the discussion to the collision routinely
heralding the advent of summer.

Julie Krueger
awaiting the hail, damaging wind, and tornados of the night