[lit-ideas] Re: Naff/ inversion

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:40:48 -0800

I think "Air stagnation" is the local descriptor for "smog." I don't know why they don't say "smog."

The following info on "naff" comes from: http://www.yaelf.com/questions.shtml

What is the origin of "naff"? "naff off"?
(Etymology)

The etymology of "naff" is ultimately unknown. We can provide several theories...

◦ According to Kieth Waterhouse, author of Billy Liar (the novel that contains the senior literary citation), "naff" was used by UK service personnel as an acronym of "nasty, awful, fuck it".

◦ Along the same vein, the acronym "NAFFI" has been used by UK service personnel as an acronym for "Navy, Army, Air Force Institutes" (equivalent to a US "PX").

◦ Partridge suggests that "naff" may be a backslang formation of "fanny" (UK slang for "vagina").

◦ An explanation from London's gay community points to the acronym "not available for fucking" (ie, "straight").

◦ The AHD3 suggests that "naff" is derived from the dialectal "naffhead" ("simpleton").

Aue has threads on the topic of "naff" dating from 1991, here's the link: etymology of "naff".

Of the theories given, it is likely that acronym "NAFFI" fits best with naff's meaning of "unstylish or outmoded", and that the backslang and gay slang theories fit best with the etymology of "naff off".

The OED provides this memorable citation, "1982 Sunday Times 18 Apr. 1/4 Princess Anne..lost her temper with persistent photographers and told them to 'naff off'".

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon