[lit-ideas] My demise

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LIT-IDEAS" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:23:43 -0500

I got disconnected from the internet for 4 1/2 days because an over-paid
telecommunications technician forgot to plug me back in when he was finished
servicing the local pod or whatever they call it.  That aggrieved me sorely.
But what was worse was coming back on line and having to trudge through 600
plus emails -- mostly from prescription drug dealers and cum-loving hot
teen-age sluts -- only to find that no one had missed me.  How long would it
have taken before someone asked, "Say, whatever happened to old
what's-his-name?"  Jeez, you'd have thought that JL, at least, would have
mentioned my passing.  "He was a bad speller, but he like big words."  I
would have thought that, at the very least. JL would have OED'd the meaning
of death.   But no, my demise went unnoticed entirely.  There was no David
Ritchie elegy for me   No note from Judy Evans expressing Great Britain's
great sorrow.  Nothing from Robert Paul wondering whether I was hot or cold.
Carol Kirschenbaum never queried in her let's-not-beat-around-the-bus
manner: "What?  Are you fucking dead, or what?"   Andreas never sent his
condolences, as did no one.  Had this been my death, I would have died
alone.  But that's existentialism and I no longer buy into that.

So, hey, lucky for you, lucky for me I'm not dead.  You are all relieved of
your funereal feelings.  I say let's dance.

Mike Geary
Memphis