[lit-ideas] Re: Movies, clueless terrorism experts and liquid explosives

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 23:50:31 +0100

TATP, yes -- and yes the media here have reported doubts
of the kind this article raises

> By now you'll be asking why these jihadist wannabes
> didn't conspire simply to bring TATP onto planes,
> colored with a bit of vegetable dye, and disguised as,
> say, a powdered fruit-flavored drink. The reason is
> that they would be afraid of failing: TATP is
> notoriously sensitive and unstable.

I think the 21/7 failed bombers used TATP (and hence their
failure)

You do I suppose know that a number of the people arrested
lack passports and none -- it's said -- had bought an airline
ticket?  The reason we know this is, of course, that they'd
all been under surveillance for about a year (and their
houses bugged, their phones tapped) and were on
airport/airline watch lists (etc.)

This is not to say they weren't conspiring to blow
something up sometime...

Nearly everything must now go into
> the hold, where adequate amounts of explosives can
> easily be detonated from the cabin with cell phones,
> which are generally not banned.

quite