[lit-ideas] Re: Moral Imagination

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 20:21:19 -0700

Donal wrote

As to the argument that a problem with a clear-cut answer is less of a problem than one less 'black and white', it seems to me that ethics is the field where this is most dubious. If we take it as clear cut that genocide is morally wrong (for example, murdering people in the interests of ensuring racial purity) that may not make it less of a problem when we are forced to go to war to oppose such genocide. In fact, we might say that - for practical reasons - we should focus our ethical energies, especially in the public sphere, on the more clear-cut evils of the world rather than those where the ethics are much greyer. More generally, going beyond the field of ethics, it is often important to make sure we get the supposedly clear cut correct, for if we get the more simple and obvious case wrong we are not likely to get right more difficult cases [the legal expression "Hard cases make bad law" may be understood as expressing the wisdom of starting-out from the apparently straightforward and clear cut before addressing harder cases].

I agree with most of what Donal says here (leaving open the possibility of, once enlightened, agreeing or disagreeing with the parts that I don't now understand). The clear cut, the obvious, cases are those that make morality intelligible, and they are, moreover, those against which moral theories are measured: if a moral theory---adhering to one---allows the innocent to be tortured, e.g., it fails and adhering to it makes one a moral idiot, or at best a poseur when it comes to ethical questions. How one should tell one's lover in a sensitive and understanding way, that it can't go on, may be harder than it is to judge that Bernard Madoff did a lot of harm to a lot of people, or that Stalin's 'Moscow Trials' were the work of a villainous man; but this doesn't mean that the more difficult (the more 'intricate'?) cases are thereby 'more important.' (I don't believe that there is a sort of moral 'continuum,' although maybe if one reads comic books one will have a comic book morality, and if one reads Henry James, e.g. The Golden Bowl, one will have something else.

JLS's deprecatory remarks on the use of "imagination" are also questionable: for philosophers like Popper "imagination" is a most important requirement for understanding, in part because what is understood is not a "given" but a construction, and a theoretical one at that. Without "imagination", for example, how I can ever know that genocide is wrong by imagining what it is like to be a victim of it?

If this were really true, then I could not honestly say that I know genocide to be wrong. It is as useless as a parent's saying to a child, 'How would you like it if Sally pulled /your/ hair?' The child has not been taught any sort of 'moral lesson in this drama. No more does my shuddering at descriptions and depictions of life in Auschwitz make that an important part of my knowing that to subject human beings to such a life is wrong, was wrong, and will be wrong, no matter what the casuist may try to say.

Robert Paul,
living a life