[lit-ideas] Re: Moral Imagination

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 10:46:31 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 10/9/2011 4:49:49 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
"I guess Robert to be saying that if it  depended on 'imagination' to know
that genocide was wrong (say by imagining what  it was like to be a victim)
then we could not honestly say that we know genocide  to be wrong on this
basis. Is this true?"

--- Yes. Which refutes your point, incidentally. In symbols:

"Don't kill!"

This involves a variable:

(x)(y) Kxy.

Moral principles can't (or kant) have rigid designation.

"Kill a people!" (Genocide)

requires a more elaborate formalisation, but the reference is to "x" and
"y".

------ Kant's point was that the universality (or universalizability,
strictly) of the moral principle will show that "Be a genocide!" does not allow

for it. (Hitlerians diverge; the case of the German moral officer, who, on
discovering he was not Aryan in blood, killed himself).

McEvoy:

"Bear in mind my suggestion was only that 'imagination' is (or may be)
required here, not that it is, or could be, a sufficient condition for
something  being wrong (after all, there are many things we can imagine without
[imagining]  them being wrong)."

Paul and my point is that imagination, while fine in the arts -- hence
'fine arts' -- is OTIOSE in ethics.

(neither necessary nor sufficient).

Moral Principle MP is a moral principle iff...

NO reference to imagination adds to what makes MP a moral principle.

----- I'm surprised McEvoy mentions necessary and sufficient conditions
('too strong', 'too weak' conditions) and fails to see this point.

"The argument about the role of 'imagination' I was putting forward is
closer to the argument that recognising others as persons, or as 'other minds'
even, is something not 'given' but something we acquire and which it
requires a  certain imagination to acquire - and we might say without
recognising
others as  persons we can have no real sense of right and wrong. Of course,
this touches on  large concerns, some of which I might address in another
thread on P's  philosophy of mind by outlining his account of how we _become_
selves."

------ This is better approached via the SYMMETRY, formal, of a moral
principle. In symbols, no rigid designation allowed. Moral principles are
reciprocal, and empty, in this regard. They apply to ANY HUMAN BEING
independent
of his or her imaginative powers.

x + 6 = 10

In this case, the reader has to IMAGINE that x = 4.

Similarly, when one is taught a moral principle

"Do not covet your neighbour's wife!"

one has to ask Paul's question, which does not teach a moral  lesson:

"How would you like it if your neighbour coveted YOUR wife?"

-----  To label this OBVIOUS formal principle of reciprocity and  symmetry
-- general, applicational, and conceptual generality of moral  principles
--- "imagination" is a blasphemy to Emily Dickinson who REALLY was
imaginative (or Verne, in novels, too.).

Cheers,

Speranza