[lit-ideas] Re: Melbourne, Tristam Shandy and Custer at Gettysburg

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 15:59:23 -0800

On Feb 3, 2007, at 2:18 PM, Simon Ward wrote:

Streetmap has some handy little arrows on the sides and corners of its map pages. If what you want to see is just off the map...

strawdinry!

Meanwhile...

I wasn't contesting Custer's appearance at Gettysburg (Meade promoted him on the eve of battle), but rather that Lee's real intention was for Picket et al to 'hold' Meade's centre whilst Stuart went round the back and broke it up. For one, Lee wouldn't have used his best and freshest troops for a holding operation (even one that might have got out of control) and for another, Stuart, even with his entire force, couldn't hope to penetrate Meade's line and sustain an attack. The most expected of Stuart was that he would be in a position to spread 'confusion in the union rear and round up fleeing soldiers'. That from Coddington citing Official Records.

So far the most convincing part of the case is an attack on the common understanding that you outline, an attack which says, more or less, "isn't it a bit lame to think that Lee 'just had an off day' when there may be a better explanation to hand?" When I've finished the book I'll get back to you on this.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon