[lit-ideas] Re: Melbourne, Tristam Shandy and Custer at Gettysburg

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 13:55:15 -0800

On Feb 3, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Simon Ward wrote:
And if the link - which looks more than cumbersome - doesn't work out just head to:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk

stick in Melbourne and see for yourself.

See, that's exactly where I was. You hit the zoom out button and you get a little bit more, but not quite enough. So you hit it again and you get a full screen of Blackburn to Northhampton. All I wanted was what was just off the edge of the other map. No doubt I'm just not understanding how the site is supposed to work, but I don't have this problem with most U.S. sites.

As for Custer at Gettysburg, well yes he was there. And then he had a whole career, including a court martial for running off to see his sick wife when he should have been chasing around Nebraska, before he arrived at Little Big Horn. Somewhere in the archives of Phil-Lit you may find a post I wrote when I had finished several books about Custer. I was trying to understand why he split his forces at Little Big Horn. The answer is partly that charging in had worked really well for him at Gettysburg and partly that he was really frustrated by his inability to catch up with pony-mounted Native Americans, who weren't hampered by a baggage train loaded with oats, needed as feed for horses that didn't do well on mere plains grasses.

David Ritchie,
paying the piper in
Portland, Oregon