[lit-ideas] Re: Marxi's influence in America

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 00:50:25 +0000 (GMT)

--- Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The issue of Slavery was not at the forefront in
> regard to the Cessation
> Movement that led to the Civil War.

I don't know how you're dating this, Lawrence.  The
Missouri Compromise was certainly "about slavery".

 In fact I
> probably first learned that
> from a Marxist.

Some Marxists do try to argue like that (the economy
being all and all-determinant), but it's a bit
old-fashioned now.

> The North controlled the transportation and squeezed
> the South in regard to
> the shipping of goods to European markets.

True, also true that a feudal South faced a capitalist
North.

I accept that numerous factors were involved here.
But I am inclined to stand by

LK> >The Civil War was begun over States Rights and
not
> Slavery.
>
JE> But the States Rights at issue were bound up with
> slavery.

(But it is a long time since I studied US history)

> Judy Evans, Cardiff

Judy Evans, Cardiff