[lit-ideas] Re: Manly Flowers

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:23:45 -0800

Today my brother had a bone graft and a stronger sleeve put on his fibia, a
second surgery after he broke his ankle sledding or, as the English put it,
sledging.  He seems to be recovering normally from the surgery.  I called to
order flowers to be sent, and found myself in the strange position of asking
if something other than pastel colors were available in the "spring
bouquet."

"Is there a category of flower orders for males who are recovering from
surgery," I asked.

The guy on the other end was sympathetic, but florists have not yet given
the problem their best attention.  Maybe that's what I should do instead of
professoring--manly interflora, for the crunched athlete in your life.  What
a market.

My question is, what do list members consider to be manly flowers, and why?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon