[lit-ideas] Re: Long Live the Evolution

  • From: andy amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 22:05:33 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Paul <Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: May 4, 2004 12:39 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Long Live the Evolution

Torgeir: Did the Europeans "assimilate" to the prevalent lifestyle when they
arrived in America?

A.A. : Absolutely.  That's the whole point, that they became Americans in their
new home in which they planned to stay, rather than fantasizing about returning
to the old country.

RP: That is why they still hunt buffalo on the plains, build pueblos in the
Southwest, fish for salmon ifrom the banks of the rivers in the Northwest, go to
sea in whaling canoes along the coast, and hold potlatches to establish social
standing. (Well, maybe they do do that last bit.)

Andy:  Yeah, you're right.  But, you know, I was watching the History Channel
late one night and they did a show on a slave rebellion in the West Indies,
sometime in the 1600's.  Do you know what the first thing the slave rebels
planned to do when they defeated the Dutch (I believe it was).  Take slaves.
Yes, they intended to take slaves of their own (the rebellion was put down by a
French contingent), and not necessarily white ones either.  My point is that,
like slavery, which was in the air, the water, the fabric, of the time in
virtually every country of the world, moving in and settling a territory,
especially one as wild as the Americas, without regard to lived there, was
simply in the natural order of things.  It was a different time, with different
expectations.

I'm still working on getting those Nachos.

Andy

Robert Paul
Reed College