[lit-ideas] Re: Let me incentivize you

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 16:58:41 -0700

Julie Krueger wrote

I have recently heard a particular usage which to my ears is akin to the scratching of nails on a chalkboard. Specifically, "ironical", "poetical". Several more, but I can't bring any others to my brain's surface at the moment.

There's this. Not much help.

[Pocket Fowler's Modern English Usage]

ironic, ironical, ironically. For the adjective, choice between ironic and ironical seems to be determined largely by sentence rhythm. Both words properly mean ‘of the nature of irony’, i.e. implying the opposite of what is literally or normally meant by a word, look, etc.:

She gave an ironical laugh as she looked at Guy—Olivia Manning, 1977

. In this sentence ironical shows that the laugh was marking something other than the usual humour. Both words, however, are now increasingly used to mean simply ‘odd, strange, paradoxical’, and the same is true of the corresponding adverb ironically:

It is paradoxical, ‘ironical’ as people say today, that the constitution should bestow this power on someone who laments constitutionitis in others—Observer, 1987 /

It is ironic that such a beautiful orderly house should be the setting of our messy little farce—S. Mason, 1990 /

Ironically the bombing of London was a blessing to the youthful generations that followed—I. & P. Opie, 1969 /

Ironically enough, the Israeli role in both remains crucial—Sanity, 1991

. These uses, which are surely established despite frequent criticism of them, perhaps contain an echo of the concept of dramatic irony, in which an audience is made aware of an act or circumstance that affects the action on stage (or screen) in a way that is unknown to one or more of the participants in the drama.

How to cite this entry:

"ironic" Pocket Fowler's Modern English Usage. Ed. Robert Allen. Oxford University Press, 1999. Oxford Reference Online. Oxford University Press. Reed College. 15 October 2007 <http://www.oxfordreference.com/views/ENTRY.html?subview=Main&entry=t30.e2086>

Robert Paul