[lit-ideas] Let me incentivize you

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 00:30:39 EDT

Geary, a linguistic conservative,  writes:

"I just heard someone say "incentivize" on public TV."

which is just as OED well:

Cheers,
JL
----

1968 Guardian 10 June  7/6 You have got to appeal to people's greed. The most
successful  station operators incentivise their forecourt staff. 1980  Time
28 Jan. 90/2 Americans were  not conserving gasoline because they were ‘not
sufficiently incentivized’. 1987  New Yorker 6 Apr. 61/3 Betamax  owners had
been
‘incentivized to zip right past the commercial’. 1991  Incentive Today Oct.
15 (advt.) Our range of products and Gift Vouchers have the motivational
impact that can be relied upon to incentivise and impress your customers or
staff. 1997  Mod. Railways July 416/1  We..have already introduced a number of
innovative offers aimed  at attracting new custom to rail; they also showed
that
we need to continue to  incentivise advance purchase and thus guarantee seat
reservations. 2001  J. WOLCOTT  Catsitters xv. 93 ‘Why did you  let me think
they might?’ ‘I knew it might “incentivize” you.’

J. L. Speranza, Esq.

Town:

Calle Arenales 2021, Piso 5, St. 8,
La Recoleta  C1124AAE,