[lit-ideas] Lecture on Grice by Geary -- at the Grice Club

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 22:12:56 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, May 8, 2010 6:21 pm
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Insults Which Are Humourous (Maybe)
I can't quote from ... Grice, ... , but I know what I mean when I say: "I'm guessing that..."  It means "I'm not positive, but it appears to me that..."  at the same time I'm admitting I'm aware that the I might be wrong.
-----

Exactly.
One problem with Grice was the unjustified passage from what *I* mean (what he calls "utterer´s meaning") to what *words*, or as Geary prefers, *it* (what is it? _means_-
Geary states the paradox thus.
Expression, or utterance (strictly, utteratum):
"I am guessing"
What Geary knows he means: x.
What Geary states "it" means: "I´m not positive, and I may be wrong".
------
Strictly,

"I am guessing" means that the utterer is guessing (Disquotational or Disapperance Theory of Meaning, according to Grice). The English-English disquotation (you UNQUOTE the expression in the that-clause following "... means ..." makes it opaque that the thing makes a lot of sense, in, say, French:

"Il pleut" means that it is raining.

Now, what an UTTERER (e.g. Geary) _means_ by the _uttering_ of "I am guessing" is an altogether different business. I guess? No, I know!

JL Speranza