[lit-ideas] Re: Insults Which Are Humourous (Maybe)

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 16:21:28 -0500

When I lived in Seattle, (for only 5 years, JL) a fellow worker, a native of
Seattle, kept asking me about what it's like to live in Louisiana.  I'd
correct him: "I've told you hundred times, I'm from Memphis.  That's in
Tennessee -- that's a totally different state."  "Yeah, I know, but it's in
the South, isn't it?"  I've found that's not such an unusual reaction by
people who live outside the South.

I am not a defender of the South.  The whole region is an embarrassment to
me.  The very people who should be molotov-cocktail-carrying Communists are
Reagan Republicans --  voting against their own economic self-interest in
the name of something I've never been able to pin down -- I suspect it's
probably partially a result of being the national butt of jokes, Southerners
(whites especially) hanker after respectability and so self-identify with
the aspirations of rich white men, i.e., Republicans, the epitome of
Respectability.  In addition, Southern whites, though they know themselves
to be ridiculed, nonetheless, see themselves as -- at the very least --
being above black people and Mexicans and Asians and do not want to loose
that ego-protective status in their minds.  They see the Republican Party as
the party that will continue their social superiority.

Here's a Southern joke that I find funny:  Say a man and a woman from
Mississippi get married in Mississippi, but then get divorced in Las Vegas
-- would they still be cousins?

I can't quote from Austin, Grice, Dennet, Davidson, Quine, Chomsky, Searle,
Geach, Putnam, Katz, Strawson, Harman, Fodor, Fillmore, Ziff or Donnellan,
but I know what I mean when I say: "I'm guessing that..."  It means "I'm not
positive, but it appears to me that..."  at the same time I'm admitting I'm
aware that the I might be wrong.

Interpretation of intention is often just guesswork. But sometimes intent is
blatant.  Nevertheless there are tricks of the trade.  One African-American
can call another "nigger" in an endearing way.  Just try that outside being
an African-American.  The denigrated can co-opt the language of the
denigrators and inoculate themselves against the venom of their
terminology.  Whites likewise celebrate the word "redneck".  We are
astonishingly complex and wondrous creatures.

I wasn't so much insulted by Lawrence's joke as surprised.  I've insulted
others in this venue a time or two -- or two hundred.  But Lawrence has
always seemed so long-suffering, I can hear him sigh wearily every time he
reads a post of mine.  Now, the other Larry, he didn't mind unloading his 38
of insults one bit, but he always missed hitting me (sorry, Larry, but God
love ya, you tried).  Mr. Helm, on the otherhand, has always struck me as a
man with a mission -- as much as JL's mission to bring us all to Grice --
Lawrence wants to bring us all into the Marine Corps.

Mike Geary
Memphis