[lit-ideas] Re: Lab grown meat

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 12:31:34 -0700

Andreas,
I'm a vegetarian--a vegan, really, except for the occasional fish. I stay
clear of anything "meat-like" in soy, buy organic, so why would I go for
vat-grown "steak"? For most vegetarians, not eating meat is just one
position within a generally holistic attitude, as you no doubt know. Only in
the UK will you find vegetarians who happily eat canned veggies, for
instance. In the US, we may eat frozen pasta products, but the emphasis is
on fresh, unadulterated products and humane conditions for workers--Utopia
in the kitchen, since it's so far out of reach elsewhere.
best,
Carol, noshing on three fabulous varieties of figs