[lit-ideas] Re: Kyphoplasty?

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:10:42 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Feb 13, 2005 9:33 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Kyphoplasty?

Monday, February 14, 2005, 12:58:48 AM, Andy Amago wrote:

AA> Not only is it known, it's old news.  Exact sites I can't supply at the mom=
AA> ent.  It's all part of the mind-body connection.  What originates in the mi=
AA> nd is manifested in the body.

The mind-body connection is also part of a complex feedback mechanism.
Also while certainly stress can exacerbate my back pain - but not all stress
does
-- luckily for me, even ordinary X-rays now show a spinal abnormality,
so I don't get fobbed off with "it's stress".  A *renowned*
orthopaedic surgeon did though say (at a prior stage, when ordinary
X-rays showed nothing) that it was "psychological" (ignoring the case
history) and that prevented my GP from referring me for physio.. When
I moved cities, his opinion didn't matter; I do get physio now.

A.A.  Physical therapy can provide relief regardless of the origin of the pain
by stretching out the knotted muscles and strengthening them.   Since surgery
is how surgeons make money, it sounds like you found a scrupulous doctor, even
if it cost you physical therapy.  "Stress" is now known to originate within,
not without.  I would say "anxiety", "anger", "frustration", that winds up in
tense back or other muscle instead of "stress".

=AA> y in fact was not performed.  Relaxation techniques are proven to reduce
ch=
AA> ronic pain.  The University of Massachusetts Hospital has a whole departmen=
AA> t on this.  Newsweek ran a cover story on it not too long ago.  Old news, a=
AA> s I say, at least since the 80's.

How do you define chronic pain? As "non-acute"? as "long-term"? or
as pain whose known physical cause had been removed?

A.A. How many ways are there to define chronic?  Ongoing intractable pain.  I
don't know what you mean by "pain whose physical cause has been removed".  By
definition, once a cause is removed, the pain should abate.

Andy Amago

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx