[lit-ideas] Re: Kataphatic, Negative and Apophatic Theology

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 00:50:07 EDT

When someone says "negative theology" I think of two things.  One is  "ayin"
in Judaic Kabbalism.  Kabbalists refer to God as "Lo" which  means "not".  God
is not anything that can be described or which ex -  ists.  Stands outside.
God is that which cannot be  predicated.  That about which nothing can wholly
or accurately be  said.  God is that about which nothing True can be said.
So in some  way he is Not.  The other is a piece from the Tripartite Tractate
from the  Nag Hammadi codices -- "If he is incomprehensible, then it follows
that he is  unknowable, that he is the one who is inconceivable by any thought,
invisible in  any thing, ineffable by any word, untouchable by any hand.  He
alone is the  one who knows himself as he is, along with his form and his
greatness and his  magnitude, and who has the ability to conceive of himself,
see himself, to  name himself, to comprehend himself, since he alopne is the
one
who is his own  mind, his own eye, his own mouth, his own form, and the one
who conceives of  himself, who sees himself, who speaks of himself, who
comprehends himself,  namely, the inconceivable, ienffable, the
incomprehensilbe,
unchanging one.  <snip> it is in silence that he keeps himself, he who is the
great one,  who is the cause of bringing the Totalities into their eternal
being."   Which of your three catagories would either of these fit, Phil?  Do
you
consider Catholic medieval mystics (any) to have embraced either "negative
theology"?  What about Simone Weil?  She surely embraced an aspect of  negative
theology as part of her paradox.  And what is a parallel  philosophy?  I have
always considered Derrida to be doing the linguistic  and philosophical
equivalent, parallel, of negative theology in his work.   You see why I once
asked
what your background was.  I even think that if  Christianity applied Derridean
deconstructionism to their sacred texts it would  look very much like negative
theology.  Derrida studied Jewish  mysticism.  Christians are terrified of
anything other than formulaic  literary criticism.

Julie Krueger