[lit-ideas] Re: Kataphatic, Negative and Apophatic Theology

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 00:28:16 EDT

In a message dated 8/6/2004 12:14:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Chris Bruce wrote:
"there is 'negative theology' (about which I would appreciate someone
posting a few words).
_____

Before reading Phil's excellent post more closely, I would add words about
Walter Benjamin's famous use of "negative theology" to characterize
aestheticism
as a failed project. The negative theology that is aestheticism, according to
B, encouraged an "aura" in art (which today one can still see people
responding to in museums). Maybe there is a meta-negative theology, contra
Wallace
Stevens, that examines the substitution of what art is not for what faith is
not?