[lit-ideas] Re: Kataphatic, Negative and Apophatic Theology

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 11:19:00 -0700

Le 6 ao=FBt 04, =E0 19:37, Erin Holder a =E9crit :

> Okay, I made up my own version as to what number one must mean, so I=20=

> can
> feel like I'm making progress, and now I'm on to number two.
>
> "The demonstrable correlation of opposites is an image of the
> transcendental
> correlation of contradictories."

M.C. Here's an attempt, just off the top of my head=A0: just as in our=20=

everyday experience opposites seem to imply and even attract one=20
another, so in the divine or intelligible world things *we* consider to=20=

be contradictory in fact complement one another. So just as, say, good=20=

and evil, day and night imply one another's existence in this world, in=20=

divine reality apparent opposites *coincide*. This seems to be a=20
re-woking of the ideas of Nicolas of Cusa.

        Best, Mike.

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)
CNRS UPR 76