[lit-ideas] John McCreery, "Gags (The Expurgated Edition)"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:54:49 EDT

McCreery:

>I enjoy Speranza's posts the way I enjoy a strong blue  cheese.
>One or two bites a day is delightful [...] But
>too  much and a gag reflex sets in [in my mouth].

Call me masochist, but I like that -- McCreery's gag reflex,  that is. I like
reflexes in general, they are so _unintentional_. This second  quote from the
OED below indicates that gags can be intentional ('an  unsuccessful effort to
vomit'). The first quote on gagging at transubstantiation  is _not_ meant for
Geary, since he swallows it.

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
    Professor of Literature and Philosophy, etc.
    University of Buenos Aires

              ps. I read in Andras Ramos's description of the list that it is
meant for  "university professors of literature and philosophy" to "discuss
the impact of  technology". I like that.

Quote 1

1707 HICKERINGILL  Priest-cr.  II. v.  49,
I do not, in the least, wonder, that he (that  swallows Transubstantiation)
should Gagg at believing, that [etc.].

Quote 2

1825 FORBY Voc. E. Anglia, Gag, to nauseate; to reject with loathing, as if
the  throat were closed against the admission of what is offered; to make an
unsuccessful effort to vomit.